Options are limited for skiers with visual impairment issues. They can either go about their excursion without being able to see anything or wear glasses under their goggles, which is incredibly dangerous. Alternatively, they can wear contacts that they risk losing, or buy a new pair of prescription goggles.
There is one other option which many visually impaired skiers are now starting to consider: making their own custom prescription skiing goggles. Here’s how to create your own custom prescription skiing goggles the affordable way.
Universal Goggle Inserts
If you have a pair of tried and true ski goggles that you already love, you don’t have to get rid of them! Fortunately, you can buy a ski goggles prescription lens inserts kit and convert your favorite pair of regular ski goggles into prescription goggles.
The kits come in a variety of styles, to cover the most common shapes and types of ski goggles. The different styles and their dimensions are listed in an easy-to-read, visual format, so you know how to measure your current goggles and determine which set is right for you. The lens frame fits snugly into your goggles, changing the lens power of your regular set without causing any irritation or discomfort.
To be able to order the proper prescription lenses, you will need your printed prescription from your optometrist. This should also include your pupillary distance-- how far away your pupils are from one another. If your prescription does not provide that information, you can easily measure yourself with the help of a mirror or friend.
Benefits of Ordering Custom Prescription Lenses
There are numerous benefits to ordering custom lenses for your current pair of skiing goggles. Here are a few of the main perks to keep in mind:
● Cheaper than buying new prescription goggles - Prescription goggles can be a worthwhile investment, but they aren’t a financially feasible for everyone. Buying a lens insert with prescription lenses is significantly cheaper than purchasing a new pair of goggles.
● Environmentally conscious - Reusing your current pair of goggles for as long as possible reduces the chance that they’ll end up in a landfill.
● No worries about changing prescriptions - Nothing is more frustrating than investing in a new pair of goggles and then to have your prescription change. When you buy custom lenses with an insert, you can easily remove them from the insert and order a new pair of lenses with your new prescription. The new lenses pop right into your frame, and you keep doing the sport you love.
● Bifocal and progressive lenses - If you require bifocal or progressive lenses, fear not; lenses come with those options. Simply indicate your specific needs when ordering.
● No fitting new goggles - Finding a pair of comfortable ski goggles can be a struggle. If you’ve found a pair you love, you can continue to use them.
● No permanent changes - The frame itself is secure enough to stay in place while you’re in action, but can easily be removed if necessary. It is fitted to the goggles but does not use an adhesive or anything that could cause problems or leave residue on your product.
● Versatile - If your winter life is dedicated to skiing and your summer life is dedicated to motorcycling or motocross, you’re in luck! The lens frames work for both.
Other than wearing contacts or glasses under your goggles-- an option we’ve already determined to be undesirable-- the only alternative is buying prescription skiing goggles. If you go this route, be sure to buy a high-quality product that offers UV and high-impact protection. Caring for your eyes is essential, especially when pursuing a sport you are passionate about.